Design A World – Week 9, The Khromatic Plains and Storyboarding

Monday  – Group Change and Introduction to Storyboarding

Group Change! during class on Monday, Alec decided to switch around the groups again. I was excited by the thought of getting to sink my teeth into another world design, however remained in ‘Sketchbook’ world with Sinead and Matthew Mc Veigh. We did however gain both Aaron and Matthew Atkinson to our group, which I was very pleased by! After working with these guys previously in ‘Desolado’ I knew they both had a strong work ethic and good visual ideas they could bring to the group.  Alec took us through the basic principles of storyboarding in class, and Sinead and I  had time to inform our new team members of the visual’s and characters we had created for ‘Sketchbook world.

Classwork experiments on storyboarding and simplifying shapes 

Our homework for this week was:

  • To each create a 30 second storyboard for title sequence/introduction to our world
  • Research video imagery of compositional shots
  • Explore the use  of typography for a title sequence/introduction.

We hadn’t heard from Matthew Mc Veigh since we joined the world, so the four of us continued on brainstorming ideas for a storyboard.

Image from iOS.jpg

Group Discussion 

We really had a lot of fun during this process, finally coming up with the name ‘The Kromatic Plains‘ instead of sketchbook for our world, which to be honest was a bit juvenile for the sort of idea we were envisioning. In terms of genre and idea, we decided to do a Nature Documentary approach to our world, almost like a ‘Blue Planet‘ David Attenborough-esque kind of introduction for our world. The new members thought this would also tie in with our title and imagery quite well, and it gave them an opportunity to explore character and landscape design within ‘Kromatic Plains’ also. Alec had also shared via blackboard a really cool blog post on title sequences, which after I read really honed in the importance of establishing shots to show a sense of atmosphere of what we were trying to convey with our project . I shared this knowledge with the rest of the group and we decided to include a few in the planning for our storyboards.

After coming up with our initial concept for the storyboard, we decided to create a shot list to create a frame by frame breakdown of what we wanted to portray throughout. It also gave us a sense of timing and structure to work from, whilst keeping everyone on the same concise narrative even though their stylistic approach to the world might be slightly different.

Wednesday – Research, Typography and Title

On Wednesday I decided to research landscapes and compositions more as I thought it might help the rest of the group when it came to creating their storyboards.

Shot Framing Mood Boards

Matthew Atkinson, Sinead and Aaron seemed to find this helpful so I also create a quick link on google docs for some nature documentaries that might prove useful as reference for camera angles, staging etc.

This also really helped me to consider the Typography aspect of our homework, as most nature documentaries have a classical font that doesn’t overpower the scope of the imagery that it is presenting. However, i wanted to see how well this could be usurped, or changed in some way that presented a more creative theme for ‘The Kromatic Plains.’ To help with this, I created two mood boards showing stylistic fonts, and more traditional to see which one worked better in the context of a nature documentary.

Typography Mood Boards 

I decided that I really liked both of these approaches and showed them to the rest of the group. I then embarked on creating my own typography for the title :

Typography Examples .jpg

Typography Experiments 

I think each title is successful to varying degrees, however I plan to seek feedback from the rest of my group to see if any are sufficient enough for a final title.

Friday – Storyboarding

I created my storyboard on Photoshop and Sketchbook, importing it to Storyboarder at the end to check over timing. I found the shot list that we created extremely useful, and I’m really glad we thought to use it as planning the storyboard out before hand resulted in a faster workflow for the group and myself, and I think that’s something that we will keep in mind to do again in the future.  Some of the frames of the storyboard were difficult for me to stage as I don’t have a great understand of camera angles or shots, however I tried my best and the rest of my group seemed to be able to follow it through and understand it clearly.

Weekend – Reflecting and Combining

I sent my storyboard to the rest of the group who were enthusiastic about it and the work I created. We all decided to create a PDF file of the our storyboard frames with annotations , and also a storyboard sheet itself via Storyboarder for clarity. We planned for the next week to analyse and combine our favourite shots from each other’s storyboards as keys for an animatic. We also decided to try and find someone to possible narrate over our animatic, which would give it an added layer of depth, and convey the ‘nature documentary’ style that we are striving to achieve.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s